Fancy scientists call it adaption, or the survival of the fittest. We call it eating smart.
But whatever you call it, here are foods that help your body fight off those “endocrine disrupters” (thank you Tori) that we have been talking about on the show.
1. Cruciferous veggies: Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower Brussel sprouts and cabbage contain several powerful nutrients that detoxify bad estrogenic molecules. These nutrients include Indole-3 Acetate, Indole-3 Carbonyl and Diindolylmethane. These cruciferous veggies also contain sulfur containing nutrients such as Sulfuraphane and Phenyl Isothiocyanates that enhance liver detoxification processes and destroy cancer cell formation.
2. Healthy fat-rich foods: These are foods that are rich in saturated and omega-3 fatty acids. It includes plant based fats such as coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil and avocados. Raw nuts (other than peanuts) and seeds contain anti-estrogenic plant sterols. Organic poultry, wild-caught salmon, wild game and 100% grass-fed beef are great for healthy hormone function.
3. Alium family: The aliums include garlic, onions, scallions, chives and leeks. These are all rich in sulfur-containing amino acids and the powerful flavone anti-oxidant quercetin that both help the liver detoxify at a higher level and reduce the production of estrogen.
4. Flavone rich herbs: Dietary flavones and flavonones have been demonstrated to be the most potent aromatase-inhibitory flavonoids. The most powerful flavones include chrysin which is found in passionflower and apignine which is found in chamomile. Several brands of herbal tea can be purchased that feature both organic passionflower and chamomile. These teas are typically marketed for healthy sleep but they are also powerful anti-estrogenic activity.
5. Flavonones: These are found in citrus fruits and in particular lemons and limes. They are classically called citrus bioflavonoids and they include diosmin, hesperidin, rutin, naringin, tangeretin, diosmetin, narirutin, neohesperidin, nobiletin and quercetin.
6. Antioxidant-rich herbs: Herbs such as oregano, thyme, rosemary, sage and turmeric are loaded with volatile oils that promote liver detoxification. Turmeric has a potent ability to destroy estrogen receptor positive cancer cells which are the most commonly found cells in breast, uterine, ovarian and prostate cancer.
7. Chlorophyll: One of the most powerful life-giving substances on the planet is chlorophyll. This is the pigment that gives green foods their color. Chlorophyll-rich foods have a very deep green color and they are extraordinarily useful in purifying the body of toxins.
8. Fermented foods: These contain organic acids, anti-oxidants, enzymes and probiotics that enhance gut function and eliminatory channels. Fermented veggies include sauerkraut, kimchi and fermented soy. Fermented raw dairy from 100% grass-fed cows is amazing for the body. Fermented drinks such as apple cider vinegar, kombucha and herbal botanicals are great estrogen detoxifiers.
Prevention is hard. The frustrating thing is that you never know if it is going to work. Personally, I become frustrated when someone I know eats and lives well but dies to early from cancer or heart disease. But please, even if your frustrated, do not stop doing the smart things. It is a characteristic of the “fittest”.