That doesn't mean you have to give up the concept of milk altogether.
There are many alternative milk sources that can be used in various capacities.
- Coconut milk: Wonderful for frozen desserts, such as ice cream. Also tasty in chai.
- Tiger nut milk: Naturally sweet so you don't need to add any extra sweetener.
- Grain milk: Great for porridge, pancakes, and other breakfast foods, as well as baked goods. Grain milk is also good for smoothies.
- Soy milk: Nutritionally similar to cow's milk (same amount of protein). Provides nourishment and energy. Not sweet, but rather has a bean-like taste. Rich cream texture without the distinctive flavor of coconut milk. Make sure it's organic and non-GMO.
- Almond milk: Add to coffee or oatmeal. Low in sugar. Light and slightly nutty. Look for "unsweetened" on the label.
- Cashew: Smoky and nutty undertone. Perfect for making homemade dishes like creamy mac-n-cheese.