dr leigh show-header

Kids Swallowing Magnets: A Growing Problem

Summary: Kids putting things in their mouths is a fairly regular occurrence. Unfortunately, it's also a very dangerous occurrence.
Air Date: 8/30/13
Duration: 10
Host: Dr. Leigh Vinocur, MD
Guest Bio: Dr. Julie Brown
Dr. Julie Brown is as associate professor in the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Washington School of Medicine, and a board-certified Pediatric Emergency Medicine attending at Seattle Children's Hospital. She received her medical degree from McGill University, and her MPH from the University of Washington. Dr. Brown is co-Director of research for the Division of Emergency Medicine. Her recent research has focused on minor procedures, and the management of foreign bodies, including magnet ingestion and injuries.
Kids Swallowing Magnets: A Growing Problem
Does your young child put everything in his or her mouth?

Chances are, that's a regular occurrence.

Unfortunately, it's also an extremely dangerous occurrence.

Magnets are found in many household products... some which you may not even realize. These magnets are small yet powerful, and potentially hazardous. Your child could easily get his or her hands on these and swallow them.

This is becoming a very serious problem, as swallowing them could cause holes burned into your child's bowels and many more serious health concerns.

Dr. Julie Brown teams up with Dr. Leigh to share why children swallowing these magnets can be so worrisome.
FREE RadioMD Newsletter: