A habit changer is a simple slogan to remind you of the new thing you want to be doing. It’s something you say to yourself so you can adopt the behavior you want.
Here are a few examples:
- “You can’t say yes if you can’t say no.” Women are usually people pleasers. We sometimes agree to do something so people will leave us alone. If you can’t say no, then you’re not making a choice to say yes.
- “Anger is fear on the boil.” Anger is the fight part of “fight or flight.” Fear resides just below that anger.
- “Handshake your fear.” Be kind to yourself when you are afraid. Comfort yourself the way you would comfort a friend. Don’t turn away from your feelings. You are aware of what’s happening so you can engage or not.
- “All you need is the first action and work is the best way to get working.” The longer you procrastinate, the worse you will feel. Just start working. It may feel so big and overwhelming that you freeze. Do a tiny thing. It’s easier to keep doing things once you get started.
- “Relax. You’ve already failed at being perfect.” Ease up on the perfectionism because you won’t reach perfect. It’s okay.
- “Now come back to me.” Women give and give so much to other people. Make sure you are including yourself in your own care. You can’t change anything if you don’t take care of yourself.
- Pick one thing you want to work on so you can remember it.
- Make it actionable. What specifically are you going to do?
- Pay attention to when you’re doing it right.
- You’ll find success by persisting.
Listen in as MJ Ryan shares how you can create new habits to adopt the behaviors you desire.