9 Health Benefits of Pet Ownership
- Topic Info:If you have a dog or cat, you may already know the wonderful perks of having a furry companion. The happy greeting as soon as you come home from work, the endless kisses, and the comfort of a snuggle can make you appreciate each day.
Whether you're a cat or dog (or maybe small rodent or reptile) person, there are numerous health benefits to owning a pet. Your pet brings many other health benefits besides unconditional and loyal love. Studies have shown that having a pet lowers blood pressure, reduces your stress and anxiety, boosts your immunity, and boosts your mood.
What are some health benefits associated with pet ownership?
Pet allergies are the most common allergies and can often trigger asthma. However, studies have found that animals, specifically cats in your home, can help you develop immunity to asthma and other allergies.
Also, according to a study that was published in the Journal of Physical Activity, dog owners walk an average of four walks a week, which can amount to 160 minutes of physical activity. Being physically active can also have many perks to a healthy and happy life.
9 Health Benefits of Pet Ownership:
- Natural mood enhancers
- Helps your blood pressure stay in check
- Lowers your cholesterol
- Boosts heart health
- Helps develop immunity to asthma
- Helps fight depression
- Helps you stay active
- Pets help children and young teens overcome limitations
- Helps build immunity to allergies
What are some of the other health benefits of pet ownership?
Dr. Jeff Werber joins Melanie Cole, MS, to share the nine health benefits of pet ownership and why pets can boost your health and happiness.
- Guest Website:Dr. Jeff Werber
- Host: Melanie Cole, MS