Jim Henson also died from sepsis in 1990. Those two are just the celebrity victims of this fast-acting killer.
Sepsis is a potentially life-threatening complication from infection. Chemicals released into the bloodstream to combat infection can trigger inflammatory responses that can damage organs. It is a ticking time bomb that can be fatal if not caught and treated immediately.
Sepsis is always caused by an infection. It can be from a fungal, bacterial or viral infection, with bacterial infections being the most common cause.
Watch for a combination of these warning signs of sepsis:
- Temperature below 96.8 F or above 101 F
- Heart rate above 90 beats per minute
- Breathing rate higher than 20 breaths per minute
- Extreme pain or discomfort
- Pale or mottled skin
- Probably or confirmed infection
Sepsis Alliance founder, Dr. Carl J. Flatley, shares how to prevent sepsis, as well as key warning signs.