Carolyn Brown, MS, RD, joins Dr. Taz to offer up some key food rules for everyday living, as well as tips for going into the holiday season.
Key Food Rules
- Keep a food journal.
- Eat every 3-4 hours.
- Keep a "safety snack" on you at all times to prevent you from getting to the "too hungry" point.
- Eat at least two servings of vegetables per day.
Preparation for the Holidays
- Keep in mind the holidays are actually only 3-4 days, not the whole month of December.
- Choose your vice and stick with it; pick your poison so to speak. Instead of indulging in all treats, pick one.
- Allow yourself a realistic treat/splurge meal. This helps from taking the joy out of food.
What if you fall off track? Use these tactics to reset:
- Forgive yourself first and just let it go.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate (water with lemon works great).
- De-bloat and detox with asparagus, dandelion greens.
- Make sure you're taking your probiotics.
Carolyn is also very cognizant of the emotional highs and lows of eating, particularly around the holidays and offers these tips:
- Recognize when your emotional response starts to get out of control.
- Get moving with a walk or outdoor activity to get your endorphins flowing.
- This will also remove you from the tenuous situation of being faced with all those yummy goodies.
The Superwoman Factor
What makes Carolyn a superwoman? She's motivated to help others.
What are three superwoman qualities she advises? Women helping other women, being open-minded and trying new things.