If you're one to ignore it, you're not alone. Many who have chronic knee pain wait anywhere from seven to 11 years before getting help.
However, ignoring knee pain can lead to bigger problems down the road.
In many instances, knee pain that is left untreated can turn into osteoarthritis (OA). With OA, the normally smooth joint surfaces are worn away, and over time this may result in bone-on-bone contact, pain and stiffness. In the U.S., OA is a major cause of crippling knee pain, affecting nearly 27 million Americans.
What are the five signs of knee pain that you shouldn't ignore?
- You have knee pain one or more days per week.
- You have knee pain when walking more than a block.
- Knee pain interferes with your sleep.
- Pain medication no longer alleviates your knee pain.
- Knee pain affects your activity level, causing you to stop doing what you love.
David Fisher, MD, shares the five signs of knee pain that you shouldn't ignore.