How about a friend who starts a new workout program and drops 10 pounds, while you’ve been working out forever with no change?
It’s frustrating, to say the least.
But, perhaps the answer lies in understanding fat.
Fat is not just stored calories. Fat is critically important. It makes and releases hormones your body needs. Fat fights to preserve itself because of its role in the endocrine system.
Fat creates leptin, the hormone tied to metabolism and satiation. When you lose fat, you lose leptin. You become hungrier and your metabolism slows. You now have to eat less to maintain your weight.
It’s important to understand how your body functions so you can maintain the shape you want. It will help you stay the course.
If you want to maintain results of healthy weight loss, here are some steps you can take:
- Women partition more nutrients into fat than men, no matter what the scenario. Cutting back on food doesn’t cut back on the percentage of nutrients that will become fat.
- Testosterone busts fat. Women have less than men, putting them at a weight loss disadvantage. Exercise helps increase testosterone levels.
- Watch your carbs and sugary foods to keep your insulin levels lower.
- Growth hormones help bust fat. Fasting increases growth hormones. Increase the time between meal periods. Stop eating at 5 pm each night and don't eat again until 10 am the next day.
- Add more fiber to your diet.
- Change your habits. You have to build a habit to stick to the best eating plan for you.
- Yo-yo dieting makes your fat stubborn. Fat becomes more precious to your body, and it works harder to keep it.
- Weight maintenance will be just as hard as losing the weight in the first place.
- Use your emotions to push yourself to take charge of your body. Being angry or excited can motivate you to stay on target.
- Keep a journal of your weight and diet habits. See what makes you gain weight and what helps you lose weight.
Listen in as Dr. Sylvia Tara shares tips to help you understand fat and explains how you can use that knowledge to your advantage.