Your internal biological clock has a rhythm. Following that circadian rhythm will help balance out your life so you function better.
Finding your chronotype can help you determine when you are naturally most productive and when you should sleep.
The Four Chronotypes
Lion: Early to bed, early to rise, this person gets a lot done early in the day. This master of the to-do list is productive but has difficulty being social because she’s tired at the end of the day.
Bear: Society is built on her schedule. She’s extroverted, fun and gets work done. The 9-5 schedule is built for her.
Wolf: Her nature isn’t to hit the sack early. She’s often very creative. This individual has trouble completing the to-do list.
Dolphin: While she gets a lot done in a day, she has trouble sleeping. Her sleep is broken and she may call herself an insomniac. The dolphin also gets a lot done in a day.
Many people become lions or dolphins after age 50.
Ways to Improve Your Sleep
- Find one sleep schedule and stick to it. Wake up at the same time every day. Weekends aren’t excluded.
- Stop consuming caffeine by 2 p.m. Its effects can last six to eight hours.
- Alcohol is fine with dinner. Consume no more than two drinks. Stop drinking alcohol three hours before bed so you get a good night’s sleep. Alcohol can prevent deep sleep, leading to hangovers.
- Get 20 minutes of exercise daily. It improves sleep quality.
- Go outside within 30 minutes of waking for ten minutes of daylight. It resets your circadian rhythms.
Smarty Pants Vitamins