Probiotics are healthy bacteria which aid in producing digestive enzymes and maintaining a healthy gut.
But, they do much more than that.
In this Naturally Savvy segment, probiotics expert, Mitch Sirgent, joins Andrea and Lisa to highlight the five healthy benefits of this important supplement, as well as shares why you should make it part of your daily health routine.
The body needs bad bacteria as much as good bacteria. Your body's "ecosystem" needs to remain balanced at all times.
The five key areas where probiotics will help maintain optimal health and wellness include the following:
1. Probiotics allow you to digest your food properly without too much gas and bloating and allow you to absorb nutrients.
2. They are the key to supporting the body's natural defenses. A whopping 70-80% of bacteria in the intestinal tract are responsible for your immune system.
3. Good bacteria actually helps fight allergies. Probiotics educate the immune system to not overreact to traditional environmental triggers, such as tree pollens.
4. Women's health! Probiotics help fight yeast infections and more.
5. Urinary tract health. Probiotics help prevent those nasty UTIs.
When you are looking for a good probiotic, keep in mind that you will want one with at least 10 billion organisms or more. Do your research and ask your pharmacist what probiotic may work best for your needs.