Toxins are everywhere.
Some cannot be avoided completely, such as those from air pollution. But, there are so many that you CAN avoid, simply by making wise choices in the products you purchase.
But first, you must learn how to become a savvy consumer, because there is so little regulation in terms of toxic products.
In fact, the government readily allows these chemicals and toxins; some of which haven't been tested properly and others that just barely pass what the FDA considers an acceptable level of safety.
For example, the label "non-toxic" isn't very indicative of the true nature of a product. If 49 out of 100 test subjects are affected by certain product it can still be labeled non-toxic. But, if just one subject more is affected (50 percent), it is considered toxic. Similarly, the words "natural" or "all-natural" is not regulated by the FDA.
If you think about it, just over 100 years ago people were dying of things like dysentery, malaria, cholera, tuberculosis or other infectious diseases. Now, people die from heart disease, lung disease, cancer... these are all, in part, results of environmental factors in your home and work.
All of these considerations make knowledge and education so essential. You absolutely must become a savvy consumer in terms of what is safe and what is not.
It can be overwhelming at first, especially when you come to the realization that your food, beauty products, skincare products and cleaning products all have the potential to contain toxic ingredients.
But, a good way to approach change is to start really reading labels. If you don't recognize (or can't pronounce) the ingredients on a label, what are the odds the product is safe and healthy for you to use?
Jill Dixon is a Toxic Free Adviser with the Healthy Home Company. She joins Andrea and Lisa to share the top products you should avoid, as well as how you can start making safe and healthy changes for yourself and your family members.