What You’ll Learn in this Episode:
- Why it’s important to run a background check on someone you’re thinking about hiring as a caregiver.
- Why you should look for an introvert who is happy in service.
- The two questions you should ask to help you find the right care caregiver: “How did you get into caregiving?” “Tell us about your favorite and least favorite client.”
Other tips for caring for an aging parent:
- Simplify: shorten visits and events. You do not have to accept all invitations. Determine which ones might be the most important or provide the most joy to your loved one.
- Watch your family member’s reactions. Pay attention to stress levels and make adjustments as necessary.
- Maintain the familiar. Old traditions, familiar music, reading/signing holiday cards or other simple customs can be enjoyable and feel comfortable to the impaired individual.
- Get involved and do something (anything): a short walk to look at Christmas decorations, an animated holiday musical that encourages simulated dancing or swaying, decorating a tree... these are all possible activities.
- Reminisce about past gatherings, traditions or people. It’s time to bring out those old photo albums!
High Five Highlights:
- What’s the best way to deal with a negative parent: Deflect the negativity and focus on positivity.
- Advice he would give his younger self: Work on forming close bonds with people that make me a better person.
- Best advice he was ever given: Focus on the things you do best and delegate everything else.
- Most important thing to remember when caring for an aging parent: Remember that this person has a special status in your life and focus on how you can help them.
- Most important thing he’s learned: Relationships are the most important things in your life.
Connect with Igor!If you enjoyed this show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help us tremendously in getting the word out and raising the visibility of the show.
Share the Show!
Sponsors:audible.com - get a FREE audiobook download and 30 day free trial at www.audibletrial.com/
Real Salt - Is Your Salt Real?