Selected Podcast

Should You Get Rid of Your Mercury Fillings?

Do you remember the Mad Hatter from Alice In Wonderland and how crazy he seemed? He was labeled "mad" and acted nutty because of the high levels of mercury he was exposed to while felting hats. Even though he is a fictional character, his side effects of mercury poisoning were spot on.

Mercury exposure has been linked to serious health conditions like autoimmune diseases and neuro-degenerative diseases.

Mercury is a highly toxic metal that can be extremely damaging to your body and health. It is released into the air via power plants and industrial facilities and can even be found in certain fishes, thermostats, and light switches. Mercury has been used for decades to fill cavities and prevent tooth, nerve and bone decay.

However, health professionals and doctors have started to wonder if you should get rid of your mercury fillings.

According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), mercury is mixed with silver, tin, or copper to help bind together and create a strong and solid filling for your tooth. Dentists have said that since there is a small amount of mercury used in the filling, it shouldn't cause any health concerns. But, if you're someone who has a more than a few cavities, all that mercury can add up.

In an article published by the American Nutrition Association, Dr. Seymour Gottlieb reviewed findings on mercury fillings. The article states that on average, the silver fillings used contain enough mercury over a lifetime in the mouth to exceed the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Adult Intake Standard. In fact, according to autopsy reports of those who had mercury fillings, high mercury levels were highest in the kidney, stomach, jaw and the liver.

What else do you need to know about mercury fillings?

Dr. Mike explores the latest research on mercury used for dental fillings, the harmful effects mercury can cause, and if you should remove your mercury fillings.