Listen in because what you know helps ensure healthy choices you can live with. Today on Healthy Talk, you wanted to know:
Are nutritional deficiencies to blame for being overweight?
When you lack proper nutrition, your body may be showing you signs that you have a nutritional deficiency. These signs can be a number of things like brittle nails, bleeding gums, painful joints, hair loss, acne, dry skin, and many others. What about weight gain?
A study from a children's hospital in Oakland, California conducted three eight-week trials involving the twice daily intake of nutrient bars for two months for 43 lean and overweight/obese adolescents. What researchers found was in the overweight/obese participants, there was a reduction in weight, weight circumference, diastolic blood pressure, heart rate, triglycerides, insulin resistance, C-Reactive Protein, and inflammation.
Nutrition is extremely important; in fact, it's listed as one of the nine pillars of successful weight loss Dr. Mike wrote about. The rest of the pillars are:
- Restore insulin sensitivity
- Restore youthful hormone balance
- Control rate of carbohydrate absorption
- Increase physical activity
- Restore brain serotonin
- Restore resting energy expenditure rate
- Restore healthy adipocyte signaling
- Inhibit the lipase enzyme
- Eat to live a long and healthy life