But, the freedom you feel when escaping the daily grind can lead to carelessness. It's important to be on guard when traveling so you are able to enjoy your trip and stay safe.
Here are some tips:
- Get a map, know where you are and where you're going. Research the area ahead of time.
- Dress to blend in if you are traveling abroad. Don't dress as a target.
- Be attentive to what's going on around you. Don't walk with your nose in your phone when you're away from home.
- Don't trust everyone you see.
- Be confident. Walk with confidence. If you meet a stranger and feel there is a connection, be confident with your boundaries.
- Know to strike when necessary. Be willing to get physical if you must.
- If someone wants your property, give it up. If someone tries to move you, hit them as hard as you can. It may take multiple strikes, and you must fight as long as your attacker fights until you can escape. The safest thing you can do is flee.
Listen in as Kelly Campbell of Krav Maga Worldwide shares tips for your travel safety.