According to the American Academy of Dermatology, skin is the body’s largest and fastest growing organ.
For this reason alone, it’s a good idea to give your skin some extra attention, especially during the summer when more of it is often exposed and it is susceptible to the sun’s damaging rays.
The good news is that there are a lot of simple things we can do to help keep our skin healthy, glowing and youthful looking all summer long.
It’s a good idea to see an esthetician regularly so that the skin can be cared for in terms of preventing dryness, dehydration, acne, and hyper-pigmentation. Here are five tips for having glowing summer skin:
1) Waxing. Getting waxed is an important part of summer, but it’s a job you can’t trust to just anyone. Bad wax jobs can leave skin irritated, red, sore and in some extreme cases scared. It’s important to have it professionally waxed at a place that specializes in waxing, so that the pain is minimal and when they are done the area is baby skin smooth. This goes for all types of summer waxing, including facial, legs, bikini area, and beyond.
2) Tanning. Having a tan is synonymous with summer, but according to the Skin Cancer Foundation, 40 to 50 percent of all adults who reach the age of 65 will have had some type of skin cancer. It’s crucial to protect skin from the sun’s rays. You can still have a summer tan, but it’s better to get it the healthy way, such as a spray-on tan option. When outside, use sunscreen and wear a hat to shade your face from the sun even when it’s cloudy.
3) Hydrating. Adequate hydration is necessary for healthy skin, according to the University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinical Authority. They report that not getting enough water can make skin dry, tight, and flaky. Aim for eight glasses of water per day, which will keep it hydrated and help remove toxins from the body.
4) Eating. What you eat has a role to play in how healthy your skin is. According to a research study in the journal Dermato-Endocrinology, fruit and vegetable consumption may represent the most healthy and safe method in order to maintain balanced and youthful appearing skin. Get plenty of antioxidant-loaded fruits and veggies into your diet.
5) Exfoliating. This is a good way to keep up on taking care of your skin, as it removes the old dead skin cells and can keep your skin glowing. You can do this at home, or you can have it done by getting facials, chemical peels, or microdermabrasion.
Listen in as Katherine Goldman, Owner of Stript Wax Bar, joins host Andrea Donsky to discuss her five top tips for getting glowing summer skin.