healthy-children-header

Can You Prevent High-Powered Magnet Ingestions?

From the Show: Healthy Children
Summary: Young children naturally put things in their mouths as part of their development, but no parent can be vigilant 100 percent of the time.
Air Date: 11/7/12
Duration: 10
Host: Melanie Cole, MS
Guest Bio: Dr. Mark A. Gilger, MD
Dr Mark GilgerDr. Gilger is Chief of the Section of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Nutrition at Baylor College of Medicine (BCM)  and is Chief of Service, at Texas Children's Hospital.  Dr. Gilger graduated from Creighton University School of Medicine in 1980.  He trained in Pediatrics at the University of Rochester School of Medicine from 1980-1983.  He was Clinic Director at the Fort Yuma Indian Health Service Hospital in Yuma, AZ from 1985-1986, where he received the Indian Health-Service Emphasis Campaign Role Model Award.  In 1989, Dr. Gilger completed his fellowship in Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition at Baylor College of Medicine.  Dr. Gilger is a graduate of the BCM Master Teacher Program in 1998.  Dr. Gilger has pursued business training via the Executive Education Program, Management for the Health Care Practitioner, at Rice University.  Dr. Gilger’s research interests include:  Infections of the GI tract & gastrointestinal endoscopy.  His current research includes: Helicobacter pylori infection in children, development of the Norwalk (“Cruise Ship”) virus vaccine, quality in pediatric endoscopy and the role of infectious agents in inflammatory bowel disease.
    Can You Prevent High-Powered Magnet Ingestions?
    Young children naturally put things in their mouths as part of their development, and pediatricians counsel parents to be aware of this risk and keep dangerous items out of their child’s reach. But no parent can be vigilant 100 percent of the time.

    Survey findings released recently by the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (NASPGHAN) provide compelling evidence that the use of warning labels in marketing and packaging of high-powered magnet sets have not been effective in preventing the ingestion of these magnets by infants, children and teenagers.

    This information could save the life of a child.
    aap bumper
    HClogoCMYK-300
    FREE RadioMD Newsletter: