How are children with special healthcare needs uniquely impacted -- especially those who often receive important care during the school day?
Dr. Lynn Davidson says that parents and family members are required to "get creative" in getting access to necessary therapies. She also advises that parents be okay with doing the best they can, given the circumstances. Some of that involves getting "back to basics;" things like using cooking lessons to teach measurements or flash cards for word development.
Listen as Dr. Davidson joins host Melanie Cole, MS, to discuss how families can cope with the current situation.
Additional Resources for Families of Children with Special Healthcare Needs
American Academy of Pediatrics
- General COVID-19 resources: https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/
- Information for Families (HealthyChildren.org): https://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/conditions/chest-lungs/Pages/COVID-19-Information-for-Families-of-Children-and-Youth-with-Special-Health-Care-Needs.aspx
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Frequently Asked Questions about CYSHCN and COVID-19: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html?deliveryName=USCDC_1054-DM26731#Children-and-Youth-with-Special-Healthcare-Needs
- Information for People with Disabilities: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-disabilities.html
- General COVID-19 Resources: https://familyvoices.org/coronavirus/
- COVID-19 e-Blasts for Families: https://familyvoices.org/resource/resource-eblast-covid-19-series/
- COVID-19 Information and Resources for Families: https://www.autismspeaks.org/covid-19-information-and-resources-families
- Coronavirus: Latest Updates and Tips https://www.understood.org/en/school-learning/coronavirus-latest-updates
School system websites
Look at your school system websites, they have many resources for distance learning.
1. Reach out to your children’s teachers and therapists
2. School system websites for resources for distance learning (e.g. https://www.schools.nyc.gov/learn-at-home/information-on-remote-learning)