7 Emotional Clutter Blocks
- Fantasy stuff for a fantasy life: You buy things for a future hobby or sport, but you never actually use the equipment. Be honest about the life you’re living now.
- Other people’s stuff: Other people gave you stuff that reminds you of them, even though you don’t use these things or have space for them. Honor their memory by getting rid of things you don’t need.
- Special occasion stuff: You don’t want to ruin things by using them. You deserve the best, so use that china and wear that silk blouse.
- Stuff that defines you: You’re the person who has the special thing or wears a certain color, so you just can’t get rid of the possessions that make you that person. Redefine yourself as the person who doesn’t have clutter.
- Stuff you’re avoiding: You have unopened mail or papers that might be important. Time to deal with things so you don’t have to give it your floor space and attention.
- Expensive stuff you just can’t ditch: You spent a lot of money for something but don’t use it for the intended purpose (or at all). Accept that you overpaid for it and take a lesson from it.
- Past stuff: You hold on to things from who you once were that don’t reflect your present. Live in the now and put the future there.