One doctor who has been researching the problem of inflammation for a great while now is Dr. William Sears, who has authored the tremendous resource, The Inflammation Solution: When Everything Works and Nothing Hurts.
Dr. Sears has identified ways to control your inflammation and stave off the negative effects, particularly in your brain.
He recommends his "6-S Anti-inflammatory Diet," which includes the following:
- Seafood: Preferably wild salmon. Seafood is a top anti-inflammatory source because of the omega-3 fish oils, which benefit your brain, heart, gut, and joints. The pink color of salmon also contains the antioxidant, astaxanthin, which some experts call the "world's best antioxidant."
- Smoothies: A shake a day keeps inflammation away. The more colorful fruit and vegetables you include, the better (blueberries, kale, etc.).
- Salads: Put more color on your plate... dark leafy greens, tomatoes, avocado, and don't forget the salmon!
- Spices: Spices such as ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, and black pepper all have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Snacking: Make sure you follow Dr. Sears' "rule of two." Eat twice as often, eat half as much, chew twice as long. When you graze, you avoid spikes in blood sugar and inflammation.
- Supplements: If you can't get all of your nutrients in food form, you need to supplement the ones you're missing.