The holiday season is in full swing.
Parties, events, and family get-togethers may have you falling into the habit of too many "cheat days."
Don't beat yourself up too much. In fact, Lisa Lynn, author of The Metabolism Solution and founder of LynFit.com, says you can cheat on your diet and still lose weight.
How is that possible?
If you eat the right foods for your body 80 percent of the time, the other 20 percent of the time you can "fall off the wagon."
Lisa joins Dr. Susanne to explain her three-step process to turbo-charge fat loss and boost your metabolism, as well as what it means to eat thermogenic foods.
Step 1: Perform a "metabolic” workout on an empty stomach.
This helps lower blood sugar levels and sets up the right environment by boosting metabolism, which is best for fat burning vs. storing (you burn off the cheat eats versus storing them). You’ll see results the same week you start these types of workouts, and the scale will show you proof of weight loss right away.
Step 2: Boost your metabolism 25% the morning of and the morning after with a "metabolic boosting” protein shake.
This tricks your body into thinking it had a big meal and revs up your metabolism, which means you'll burn more calories all day and night.
Note: not all shakes are meant for metabolic boosting. Look for pure whey that has no carbs, sugar or lactose, and do not add fruit or milk of any kind.
Step 3: Snack lean (or not at all) to prevent hunger before the big cheat day.
Grab a green apple or a protein shake before the cheat meal to help prevent hunger and to lower blood sugar levels, which, again, is the secret for weight loss. Studies have shown that doing this actually helps you lose weight because your metabolism is revved up and you’re less hungry, so your self-control is greater.
What NOT TO DO: you don't want to snack on almonds that contain fat if you’re eating excess fat... because excess gets stored.