The good news is that diabetes risk can be reversed or avoided in some cases.
Metabolic syndrome is the earliest stage. Your body becomes resistant to insulin. Insulin tells your body to use the sugar from your food to go into the cells. When the insulin isn’t working properly, the sugar gets directed to fat cells.
Early Symptoms of Metabolic Syndrome
- Elevated cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Spare tire around middle
- Difficulty losing weight
- Recommendation to start taking statins
First, reduce sugar and increase fiber. Men need to increase testosterone and women need to reduce testosterone. Then, optimize the thyroid by seeing a holistic doctor. You may be able to take some iodine to aid your thyroid. Next, only eat when you’re hungry. Be sure to get enough sleep. Finally, get exercise in the sunshine. Exercise is important and so is vitamin D.
Herbal supplements may help you. Hintonia latiflora can help balance blood sugar. A multivitamin with 200-300 milligrams of magnesium can help reduce risk of metabolic syndrome. Berberine increases insulin sensitivity. Taking 200-500 milligrams two to three times a day before meals can be beneficial.
If you require a diabetes medication, consider Metformin with vitamin B12. Children with type-1 diabetes should take insulin as prescribed.
Sugar is as addictive as cocaine. Eighteen percent of our calories come from sugar. Cut out sodas and fruit juices. Have dessert here and there, but eliminate sugar from your main dishes. Two bites of dessert is usually enough before the taste buds are saturated. It’s important to beat the sugar addiction.
Four Drives for Sugar Addiction
- You reach for sugar when you’re tired. Sugar becomes your energy loan shark.
- You get irritable when you’re hungry. Your adrenals are low.
- You have nasal congestion, post nasal drip, sinusitis, IBS or constipation. You may have candida sending out a signal for food.
- You’re going through menopause or perimenopause. Irritability, anxiety and depression might make you reach for sugar. A bio-identical hormone or herbal anxiety supplement may ease your issues.